WOMEN’S INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM announces the position of
We are seeking a dynamic and creative woman as chief executive director of WILPF’s international organization and program based in Geneva, Switzerland. As Secretary General she is responsible for the overall implementation of the policies and programs of the organization. The Secretary General reports to the International President(s) and is responsible to an international team and an International Board composed of members from nearly 40 national sections throughout the world.
The candidate should have:
- a thorough knowledge of WILPF’s current work and structure and a commitment to the aims and principles of the organization,
- demonstrated skills and experience in fundraising;
- successful administrative experience within an international women’s or peace organization such as WILPF,
- self-initiated, conceptual ability to formulate polices and contribute to program development throughout the organization,
- experience and proven skills in project development, budget and management,
- ability to form collaborative teams and networks within WILPF and with other NGOs,
- sensitivity for and experience with cultural and gender issues and multicultural dialogue,
- skills in human resource development, policy development,
- demonstrated skills in time management and organizational work planning,
- skills in nonviolent conflict resolution and interpersonal skills;
- willingness to travel frequently,
- the capacity to speak and write fluently in English,
- a working capacity in French (highly desirable), and
- demonstrated computer competence.
- Take a lead in visioning the present and future WILPF work in peace and justice.
- Effective supervision of the daily management of the Geneva WILPF Secretariat office including appropriate delegation and follow-through for planning, implementation, project monitoring/supervision and reporting activities.
- With the International Treasurer, developing a workable budget and supervise organizational financial accountability and bookkeeping.
- Coordinate the work of a small paid staff, interns and many volunteers.
- Prepare and coordinate grant requests and project proposals.
- Play an active role in policy and program development.
- Oversee the production of WILPF publications, press releases and public relations materials.
- Represent WILPF at international meetings and work in collaboration with other NGOs.
- Establish a yearly work plan and budget and provide regular activity reports.
- Ensuring that WILPF International meetings are effectively planned and carried out, and that clear communication among stakeholders in meeting preparation is facilitated.
The Secretary General will be employed full time with a yearly salary depending upon experience and qualifications and comparable to equivalent non-government organizations.
The review of applications will begin 10 December 2009 and continue until the position is filled. It is hoped the candidate will begin work by February 2010.
Applicants should send
- a letter describing personal goals and interest in the position of Secretary General,
- a CV, and
- the names, email addresses and telephone numbers of four reference persons who may be contacted by the Review Committee.
Applications should be sent to: HR@wilpf.ch